On September 11, 2022, the official website of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) recognized Vietnam’s submission of the updated Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC 2022).
The contribution to GHG emission reduction in NDC 2022 has significantly increased compared to that in NDC 2020 with respect to both emission reduction quantity and emission reduction rate, compared to BAU. In detail, the Unconditional contribution increased from 9% to 15.8% (an increase in emission reduction targets of 6.8%, equivalent to an additional reduction amount of 62.4 Mt CO2eq). The conditional contribution increased from 27% to 43.5% (an increase in emission reduction targets of 16.5%, equivalent to an additional reduction amount of 153.0 Mt CO2eq).
Updates and adjustments to policy actions and measures targetting GHG emission reduction and climate change adaptation in the updated NDC 2022 have been made in line with Viet Nam’s climate statement at COP26 and towards long-term goals identified in Viet Nam’s National Climate Change Strategy to 2050.
The updates include:
- Update and adjustment of the contribution to GHG emission reduction and contribution to climate change.
- Update of the analysis of harmonization and co-benefits between GHG emission reduction, climate change adaptation, and sustainable development.
- Update and addition of solutions to enforce NDC implementation and periodically monitor and evaluate progress of NDC implementation.
- Further clarification of the challenges of NDC implementation in the current international and national context, addition of the content with a need for international support for NDC implementation.
- Addition of the analysis uncertainty and factors that could result in risks in achieving the goals of Viet Nam’s NDC, including uncertainty in the inventory and calculation of GHG emissions; mobilization of global climate finance; joint efforts of countries; impacts from climate change response measures of other countries.
Implementing the NDC 2022 requires significant financial, technological, and human resources. Together with international partners, GIZ – on behalf of the German Government – has been supporting the Government of Vietnam to review, update and implement the NDC in line with its net-zero commitment by 2050 and other requirements of the Paris Agreement under the project “Support to Vietnam for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement”.
For detailed information on Vietnam’s NDC visit: Vietnam NDC 2022 | UNFCCC.