On 15th of July 2022, Deputy Minister of Construction Le Quang Hung signed the Decision on the Climate Change Action Plan in the Construction Sector for 2022-2030 with a vision to 2050. This Action Plan is a very important sectoral pillar regarding Vietnam´s efforts to achieving net-zero emissions by 2050. The overall goal of this Action Plan is to transform the construction sector in Vietnam towards a sustainable and low-carbon one.
Accordingly, the Action Plan includes the following specific targets:
- Apply solutions to limit the carbon footprint in the construction sector to achieve an emission reduction of at least 74.3 million tons of CO2 equivalent.
- Increase awareness and capacity of the community and construction industry staff.
- Develop new initiatives and technologies to tackle climate change through national and international cooperation.
- By 2025, build criteria and procedures for recognizing green/low-carbon buildings, green/low-carbon urban areas.
- By 2030, at least 25% of new urban areas shall implement new standards of construction to lower the volume of GHG emissions in the construction and operation of apartment buildings by at least 25% compared to 2020. Besides, 100% of new and renovated buildings shall follow the National Technical Regulations on Energy-Efficient Buildings. In terms of building materials products, 25% of building materials mainly produced domestically are expected to be accredited as green products.
- By 2050, at least 50% of new urban areas and 10% of cities are expected to apply the criteria of green urban areas with low-carbon emissions. More than 50% of public buildings are expected to meet the green construction criteria; 100% of commercial buildings and apartment buildings consuming more than 1000 TOE or equivalent shall be recognized as low-carbon buildings.